Our Services » BREXIT
The people of the United Kingdom (“UK”) made the historic decision to leave the European Union (“EU”) on 23 June 2016. This decision is expected to have an enormous impact on the business landscape both in the UK and the EU with the UK being the fifth largest economy in the world. The exact impact of BREXIT is difficult to predict as the negotiations between the UK and the EU have yet to formally commence. Nonetheless, businesses need to adopt a strategy for BREXIT, especially if they are engaged in cross-border trading and access to the EU fee market is required.
The UK is Ireland’s largest trading partner and Ireland is a highly ranked destination of choice for UK businesses thinking of relocating part or all of their operations to another EU member state. Some of the advantages that Ireland has over other EU jurisdictions as a relocation destination are:
- Geographically located right beside the UK with flight times between the major UK cities of 1hr 15mins;
- English speaking highly educated workforce;
- Commitment to remaining part of the EU;
- Common law jurisdiction like the UK with UK case law having persuasive influence in Irish courts;
- Transparent tax regime with a commitment to maintaining the 12.5% standard corporation tax rate on trading profits;
- Favorable domestic exemptions from Withholding Taxes on dividend and interest payments to non-residents;
- Tax exemption for holding companies disposing of trading subsidiaries;
- A Research and Development tax regime and a new Knowledge Development Box tax regime which can lower the corporation tax rate to 6.25% on income derived from certain Intellectual Property assets;
- An extensive Double Taxation Treaty network;
- The ability to prepare financial statements in any currency;
Many UK businesses are considering or are in the process of establishing a foreign EU operation in order to maintain access to the EU should the UK leave the EU without having negotiated access to the free market.
At J. Meade & Company, our team has vast experience in advising foreign businesses on establishing a subsidiary, holding company or branch operation in Ireland. We can advise initially on incorporation and tax structuring. Once established, we can provide the full range of compliance services such as audit and assurance, taxation and company secretarial. In addition, we can provide payroll and bookeeping services. We also have associations with various other advisors such as legal firms who can advise on Irish law and estate agents who can source suitable office space for the operation. We are conveniently located in Raheny, Dublin 5 which is in close proximity to both Dublin Airport and Dublin City Centre.
If you would like to find out more about any of our above services, please do not hesitate to contact one of our BREXIT team: